Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Well, it's official. I've entered the world of blogging.

As the end of 2009 draws near (thank God), I've taken a deep breath and decided to shed the biggest thing  in my life that are definitely holding me back.

My weight.


There is just no way around the fact that I need to do something about my weight, as evidenced by the following:

-I hang my underwear on the clothesline and it causes a solar eclipse
-I'm in one room of the house and my a** is another
-the 95 year old woman that I look after says things like this: "I hope that I go before you do."

I own my weight problem.

I'll put a disclaimer out right now: I, and only I, am responsible for my current predicament which has taken many forms and sizes, but mostly big and round. I didn't have a miserable childhood. It's not in my genes. No one held a gun to my head and forced me to eat all those Galaxy bars. This leads me to Disclaimer #1, subsection A: I am not responsible for plummeting stock prices of the Mars candy company from this day forward.

'Nuff said.

So, I'm going to do something that absolutely mortifies me. I'm going to blog about my efforts to get fit and thin. I'm going to make myself accountable and put my weight out there into the very public domain of the Internet. I think they call this aversion therapy. I'll write the actual number in pounds, stone and kilograms or atomic mass if need be. This number has been more closely guarded than the third Fatima secret.

It's either go public or have the gastric bypass surgery, which involves sipping my meals through a straw for the first month post op.

So here it is:

315 pounds
22.5 stone
142.8 kg

Yes, those numbers are correct.
Terrible, I know. What happened to me that I let it get that out of control?

As of right now, I'm going to fix this. This interferes too much with my current life and the life that I dream of leading. This is going to be my number one priority: my health.

Today is the 26th. On the 26th of every month, I'll post my weight.

Quote of the day:

One should never trust a woman who tells her real age. If she tells that, she'll tell anything.

Oscar Wilde

Oh, by the way, I'm 43.

11 comments:

  1. Michele, you just made me cry. Lots and lots of luck to you. You're brave and amazing and I'm proud of you. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele,
    You've just made me cry.
    I think you're an incredily brave lady.
    Anything I can do to support you in this new chapter of your life, and that's what it is - a NEW and exciting chapter - please let me know and I'll do it.
    I was diagnosed two years ago as a type 2 diabetic with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I took the decision to do something about it rather than go on medication for the rest of my life and over the following year I lost nearly two stone, which for me was what I needed to lose.
    Then , I slowly spent the following year putting most of it back on again. The term Yoyo was invented for me.
    So, I have a medical in January by which time I have to have lost twelve pounds (over xmasyikes!) or face the dreaded medication.
    You've inspired me to reclaim my daily walk of thirty minutes (really works. Go back to not drinking during the week and frigging well eat less!
    Well done girl. Huge decisions. Big brave decisions...Fx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha!
    The word verification for my comment

    'someeat' !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful, positive post. I agree - you're brave and amazing, and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, you're amazing, courageous and inspiring - and you make me laugh! Fantastic, moving post. Wish you every success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele, my dear, dear friend...for so many years!!! You and I have been through it, huh? and we share alot, the biggest is the weight problem. You know how much I've struggled with mine since I was a kid, but like you...I am solely responsible for my weight...no one else!! So...I stand & applaud you!! I will not pity you because I know you don't want that, you want action! You will get it & you will get results!! I can tell you that Mike & I count calories & I mean EVERY STINKIN' calorie we put into our mouths. We start at 2000 and try to keep it between 1800 to 2000 a day. I cut out all sugar, I use splenda - natural sugars will come in fruits, and alot of them! Fresh fruit & veggies! We use the weight watchers meals, add salad and fat free stuff like puddings etc. Not sure what you can get in Ireland, hopefully they have those sorts of things in your grocery. The other thing is exercise...walking etc. I know you have trouble with your knees so take things slow, but try and walk at least 1/2 hr to 1 hour a day, start slow. I will keep you in my prayers for positive results...I know you can do anything you put your mind to & I want you to know I'm here for you if I can do anything! I will support you through this as I know MANY will!! You have taken the very 1st and hardest step, you have decided to do something about it - Kudos to you, girlfriend!! Talk to ya soon...Love, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michele, you're one very lovely, very brave, very funny lady and now you have followers. Followers! Doesn't that make you feel good?!
    Am with you e-v-e-r-y step of the way - you're an inspiration and a complete bloody star! XxX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, I am feeling lost not being able to be there with you and to help. I am hoping that maybe what I have been doing might be of assistance. You know that like you I have struggled w/ the wt forever, and it has only gotten worse since quitting smoking almost 9 yrs ago(gained just a few ha!) and now working a desk job for the past 3 1/2 yrs. In May I found myself often becoming sob w/ activity and not able to do so much including playing w/ my grd dtgs. I started wt watchers (which is also available on line) but I actually enjoy the mtgs. I started at 257 and as of last Sat 11/28 down to 221. It has been slow and not w/o the ups and downs of wt loss. Yes it can be hard but like you I finally decided to take charge of my life and try to get healthy. My labs and bp have never been better. During the summer I started to ride my bike in the neighborhood on my days off 5k in addition to the wt watchers. Now that winter is here I am in the basement and riding my recumbent bike at least 10k on those off days. I know that you are such a strong woman and you have always impressed me w/passion for life and those boys of yours, so I know you can do this. If you can somehow view the show "The Biggest Loser" you will be impressed w/the people on it and some get suggestions which I have addopted. I need to get back to work, but know that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Please keep in touch, and take care of yourself. Know that you are loved, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all your wonderful, lovely comments and for sharing your own stories- it makes me feel like I'm not alone. When I initially posted this, I wanted to cringe and go hide in the bedroom. Now I'm glad that I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michele,

    You are brave, and I know what you put your mind too you will succeed at, remember the "all you can eat in an hour diet were were on, that was a great diet, I didn't loose anything but it was fun, but don't do that one it doesn't teach us anything good, exercise is the key to loosing weight for me, with a healthy diet, of course. I am the largest I have ever been, shall I say it, humm, ok I am 198, don't tell anyone, my BP is up and so is my cholestrol and I am sixty now old enoough to be your mother, so I will try and do this too, misery loves company, right! hang in there girlfriend, you are not alone, love you, good luck,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michele, I'll be following your story and cheering you on all the way. Emily x

    ReplyDelete