Friday, January 28, 2011

Mission Not So Impossible

It's easy to be overwhelmed. I am. Sometimes, when I think about the amount of weight that I need to lose it makes me want to sit down and a) cry b) eat more chocolate and/or c) lose the will to live. Despite all of this, I have one affliction; I am afflicted with this tiny thing called 'hope.' I'm full of hope that my life can be better, that I can be better. It's the eternal optimist in me that rears her dreamy head every so often if only to whisper in my ear that everything will be all right. It's what keeps me sane. For whatever reason, this time I am determined. Like a dog with a bone, I'm going to deal with this. I'm going to fix it, acknowledge it, own it. And if I fall down and have a piece of chocolate cake, I'm not going to beat myself up over it or use it as an excuse to slide into a food fugue. I'm going to be the Zimmer girl that I am and brush myself off, take the bull by the horns and get on with it.
When I was back in the US at Christmas, I met up with my friend, Patti. She was profiled here last summer with her 95lb weight loss. She has maintained it and credits her boot camp workouts as part of the formula for her success. But she said something to me that has stuck with me ever since. I had mentioned to her the overwhelming feeling of having to lose so much weight and she agreed and said that yes, it was hard, but it was doable.
Doable.
For the past month, that word has boomeranged around the inside of my until it has become my mantra. Doable. I figure, if anything, Patti knows. She's got the 95lbs off to back up that statement.
So I work on replacing my attitude of mission impossible with doable.
Doable, oh how I love that word.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love that word too, Michele - isn't everything Doable if we really REALLY want it to happen? We have everything we need right in front of us... willpower and hope standing beside us cheering us on... Go girl ! - pom poms already waving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY Michelle-
    just saw this post and you know it is DOABLE! As you know I was always overweight- since 10- i ahve been fat. Last year I got sick of it and was ready to do surgery but had to prove to myself that I could stick to something first. So I did- weight watchers and alot of pounds later- I am so much happier! I have a ways to go- but its coming off! If I can do it so can you!! You have my love and support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin- I noticed your weight loss in your cruise pics- you've got skinny legs!! I thougth you looked fab. I've done WW a gazillion times and am hesitant to join again. And I too have the gastric bypass as a back up plan but I know that I have to fix my issues with food first. Thanks for the love and support- right back at ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele I really resonate with this post. For the past few days I've been feeling an utter failure at my inability to lose a few pounds and stay losing (instead putting them back on). I've been where I am now for over a year and the task ahead seems so enormous. But this morning I looked at some photos of myself from two years ago. I don't look like that now. So I have been making (a small) amount of progress. It is definitely doable. But I have to keep reminding myself that it's not instant. Because that keeps tripping me up time and time again.

    I'm giving myself smaller goals now.

    Keep going.

    ReplyDelete