Saturday, February 13, 2010

Things I Love About Ireland

It's only fair that I post the flip side to my previous blog. Here are the things that I love about my adopted country:


1) The Irish People. The rumors are true: the Irish are the friendliest, most hospitable bunch of people I've ever met. But most of all, in the 4 years that I've lived here, I've had to remind myself that I am a foreigner here because I never feel that way.

2) Green. Green is the predominant color scheme here all year round. After a good few days of rain, the countryside turns this luxurious shade of green for which there is no name.


3) Scenery. Ireland is the prettiest country in my own opinion. I never get tired of looking at the view, whether I'm in Clare, Tipperary or Kerry. The next stop can only be heaven.


4) The fire. Sitting by the fire is a national pasttime, and one which I don't think I could do without, no matter where I lived.


5) Rain. Yes, I love the rain. And it rains here alot. But it gives the place atmosphere and sometimes, especially if there's fog thrown in for good measure, I feel as if I'm in the middle of a PD James or Elizabeth George novel.

6) Artefacts. They are practically tripping over artefacts here. From the beehive huts in Kerry to Newgrange in Meath, the place is a veritable landmine of artefacts. Locally, back in 1868, 2 boys digging for potatoes found a large, ornate chalice now known as the Ardagh chalice. Just 2 weeks ago in the paper was the story of a Ballylongford, Kerry woman who was cleaning out her grate and found the 1,400 year old Christian broach which had been preserved in the turf. It staggers the imagination what treasure is still out there, undiscovered.


7) Size. And it really doesn't matter. This is a small country. We live in the southwest and we could easily drive to Dublin in about 4 hours which is in the northeast. You don't have to travel far to see something here.

8) Lifestyle. It's a very laidback, sleepy lifestyle. That would be one of the things that I love the most- there's no panic. The country really doesn't start to wake up until 10am. And forget about Sundays- the place is a ghosttown.


9) The Irish Independent. I can't help it but I've become addicted to this daily newspaper, especially the Sunday edition, there are just so many interesting things to read.

10) The produce. Granted, I am big fan of Wegmans, but the Irish produce is superior bar none. You haven't tasted a real carrot until you've eaten an Irish one.

11) The Dail. These politicians should have their own reality show. Not for the politically correct I can assure you. The way they trade barbs and insult each other left and right is downright hilarious at times. Who cares if they're not accomplishing anything, they make us laugh in these dire times.

12)Dingle Peninsula. I cannot not mention this place or more specifically, Inch, Dunquin and Ventry. When I first came to the peninsula, it was both familiar and for the first time in my life, I had the feeling that I had come home. No matter where I end up, my ashes will be scattered at Inch Beach.

My heart belongs to America and my soul belongs to Ireland.

2 comments:

  1. Aww I love this post, Michele. And don't you have more things you *heart* about Ireland than you *miss* about USA? I say strike a bargain and move to England, although I'd have to find some things enticing about it first... I'll get back to you.

    ReplyDelete