Friday, January 25, 2013

What I've Been Doing



I read a book last year that made a lot of sense to me. Personally I’m against diets and I think that everybody just has to find whatever it is that works for them in an effort to lose weight and keep it off. I read Wheat Belly by William Davis, M.D.  and it was a compelling indictment on modern-day, genetically- modified wheat. (I’ll do a more in-depth post on this book later). So last March, I tried it. I lasted 2 weeks. It was going well until a tragic death in our family and I immediately-without a thought- turned to food for comfort. As a wise friend pointed out to me: all that overeating did not change a thing; it did not bring my cousin back. It took me another eight months before I tried it again. I started November 21 and listed a set of things that I felt that I had to do in order for me to be successful. I said goodbye to my old friends: bagels and cream cheese and I got a quickie divorce from the family-size Galaxy bar that I consumed on an almost daily basis at a cost of 700 calories! I went cold off of everything white: sugar, flour, pasta, potatoes, etc and everything wheat. Within forty-eight hours, I noticed the cravings had diminished and there was a definite increase in my energy levels. Gone was the mid-afternoon carbohydrate slump that had my eyes at half-mast and required a two hour nap to snap out of it. I actually tried to nap but found that I just wasn’t tired enough.  Even when another cousin died unexpectedly at the beginning of December, I managed to hold it together. However, Christmas rolled into town and I completely went off the rails. However, I have managed to stay off of the bagels and the chocolate bars. But I’m determined to get back on track and get this right. I’m going to keep trying until it clicks; even if that means I’m still posting on this blog when I’m eighty years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment