Saturday, December 26, 2009

26th

I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas.

Today is the 26th and I promised myself and you as well that I would weigh myself on the 26th of every month. The month has gone by fast.

Here are today's stats:

309 pounds
21.13 stone
140.1 kg

I've lost 6 pounds since last month. At my current weight, if I had strictly dieted, I would have probably dropped about 20- 30 pounds. But the mere mention of the word, 'diet' produces a nervous tic. I'm more interested in lifestyle changes than dieting. Now I can beat myself up for lack of perfection (as I would have done in the past) or I can celebrate the baby step of progress. I choose the latter. Besides, it took 30 years to get to this point, so I've accepted the fact that it won't be resolved overnight.

I did achieve my main goal of going cold turkey off the Galaxy chocolate bars. To cope with a stress level in the stratosphere, I comforted myself with 2-3 family sized Galaxy bars a day. I'd always have a supply of 6-8 bars on hand and when the last bar was finished, I'd start to get anxious and restless, which would only be relieved by a trip to the store to stock up and at 1.50 a crack, it wasn't cheap. I felt that before I did anything, I had to break this habit first. Initially it was very difficult, and I did slip up, but since that slip up, I haven't had any of the Galaxy bars. There was an immediate impact from this: my ulcer calmed down. Previously, every bar eaten induced terrible gastric pain and a lot of acid reflux. The pain is gone and the reflux has lessened.

It hasn't been an easy month. A disappointing court decision led to my head being buried in a Dorito bag for 2 days. And then there's the whole Christmas season, which I love and all those Christmas cookies. But let's face it- when is life not stressful? But this last month is behind me and now, I look forward.

As I head into my second month, I want to concentrate on two things. I want to drink more water and I want to move my body. Pulling myself up to a stand or getting up from a chair does not constitute a work out, no matter how much it feels like one. It's time to start some form of exercise that will be gentle on my joints.

Start weight: 315 lbs
Goal weight: 284 lbs (10% weight loss)
Current weight: 309 lbs.

There is no failure except in no longer trying. There is no defeat except from within, no insurmountable barrier except our own inherent weakness of purpose.

Elbert Hubbard





4 comments:

  1. Corny as it may sound, every journey DOES begin with the first step, and I'd say you're on your way!

    "What is evil? — whatever springs from the Doritos bag." (with apologies to Nietzsche)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you - you should be proud of yourself! Loved the 'cold turkey' remark - put all mine in a stew today (minus potatoes so that's gotta be healthy, right?)Dolly steps were always the better moves at school I seem to remember x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Michele!!! I'm very proud of your weight loss and so should you! It's very hard and you're moving in the right direction!! Keep up the great work & remember, we are all human and all of us fall every once in a while...the trick is to forgive yourself and keep going!! Hope your Christmas was good and that your new year is EVERYTHING you want & need it to be! We're all rootin' for ya!!! God Bless dear friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Michele! Six pounds is six pounds and its gone now - forever! Fx

    ReplyDelete