Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Good Morning, Starshine

My grandmother died six weeks before my eighth birthday.

It was a crisp, sunny winter day. Looking out the front window, I saw my Aunt Sis’ yellow Chevy Nova parked out front. It was then that I knew something was up. Back in my room with its red carpet and red and white wallpaper, my father told me that Gramma Roberts had died earlier that morning. I flung my arms around his waist and cried. I still remember the pink nightgown with its quilted top that I wore that morning.

My grandparents had moved into the upstairs flat from us when I was about four or five. They were both an integral part of our growing up. A child’s natural ally is the grandparent. She was that and so much more. Despite the fact that I was so young when she died, the memories, feelings and impressions that I have of her are too numerous to mention. And I choose to be selfish and keep most of them to myself so as not to dilute the memory.

At five, I had the bright idea that I wanted a bra. She was a good sport and went into the other room and brought out one of hers. I remember holding it up, probably a double E or something, white, with about 6 hooks or so. It was not what I had had in mind.

We watched the Miss America pageant on her black and white TV one night in bed. I was 5 or 6.

She shined my shoes with butter. They were really shiny until the dog started chasing me around and licking my shoes.

After swinging my lunchbox around one day, it fell (of course) and the thermos inside shattered (the insides were made of glass). I was terrified to tell my mother. So I went to my grandmother. Sitting in her lap, I told her what had happened and she told me not to worry. She bought me a new one.

During the last year of her life, when she was sick, she was in and out of the hospital. One time, my Uncle Slick snuck the five of us up the back staircase of the hospital to see her. She was in the bed and she reached out for my youngest brother, Mark who was a baby at the time. He was strange and started crying. I said to him, “Mark, it’s Gramma Roberts.” I couldn't understand how he could be afraid of her.

In the fall of 1973, an ambulance brought her home from the hospital to die. Her bed was brought out to the living room of their flat. I’d go up to visit and show her my school papers, but she was no longer the Gramma that I knew. I’d be sent back downstairs and as I'd stand on the upstairs landing, their door, which was always open, would close behind me.

I have tangible things of hers. Her beautiful mahogany cedar chest. The afghan on my bed which she crocheted almost 40 years ago. The boys know that Gramma Aggie made that blanket. The little glass bird in my cabinet. Originally a perfume bottle from Avon, she emptied the perfume and put colored water in it and gave it to me.

Like me, she was low to the ground, wide and loved her food. As I grew up without her, I wanted to be like her, for her capacity to love and forgive knew no bounds. For many years after her death, family members cried openly over her without embarrassment.

Our paths crossed briefly, yet the mark she left on my life was profound, long lasting and far reaching. After her death, I thought about her all the time and dreamt of her regularly well into my twenties. As I near towards a fourth decade without her, I let those memories of her, glorious in detail, impressions and feelings of love, comfort me. I’ll think of her and memories come flooding back and the years in between melt away like snow in the spring.

I told my mother once that every time I heard the song, ‘Good Morning, Starshine,’ my grandmother came to mind. My mother said it was probably because that summer of 1970? 1971? when we were all out at the cottage in Sunset Bay that song was played on the radio all the time. Funny, but I heard it here on the radio in Ireland the other day. I hadn’t heard it in years. I’ve been dreaming of her a lot lately as my marriage dissolves around me. After all this time, she’s still close by.

Till we meet again.

Agnes O’Hara Roberts
March 9, 1907- December 2, 1973

And the tear that we shed, though in secret it rolls,
Shall long keep his memory green in our souls.

From Oh breathe not his Name
Thomas Moore

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your Gramma Roberts! My God girl...you have the gift of writing! Your posts keep me rivited and most of all, I feel every emotion you convey!! Keep up the great work & know I'm with ya every step of the way! Your determination has kept me on my path as well! Love ya...enjoy your memories!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Michele, I have tears in my eyes at this. It made my own beloved Nan spring back to life. Paula's right - you have such an amazing gift with your writing - you can convey so much and do it so well that I have absolutely no doubt that one day soon I'm going to be able to say proudly (whilst holding the proof in my hands) that "I know this writer!".
    I think you've made me want to blog about my own Nan now - if that's okay with you?
    Debs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much ladies. By all means, Debs, blog about your Nan. I would love to read about her. Where would human civilization be without our Grammas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, As I read through your postings I'm trying to decide who should play you when this blog gets turned into a book and then a movie. It would have to be someone with a great sense of humor, who's both caring and able to turn a phrase that most English teachers wouldn't cringe over. Also someone who's seen the good, the bad, and the ugly side of my gender. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michele, it is very touching to hear your story about your grandmother. I was very close with my gram too. I had her in my life till 4 years ago. The last year she was alive was very difficult cause of her health issues but I find she is still everywhere. I find that I cook like her, tell stories about her, and even use her phrases. Keep your grams memories close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Gramma Roberts like she was here yesterday, but you were much closer to her whereas I was much closer to gramp Roberts. They were the best grandparents any child could ask for. I am so glad that she is with you during this time. She is awesome. I think your blog is excellent, love the way you can tell a story, love the humor and the tender side of it. ( I especially loved your red carpet and red & white wallpaper, what were those two smoking??)lol. Keep up the good work, we all LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete