Thursday, December 10, 2009

Survival of the Fittest

You can be too old or too fat, but you can't be both.

Did you ever notice that there are really no obese eighty or ninety year olds? I don't mean someone carrying an extra 30 or 40 pounds, but more than that. You never hear of a ninety year old worrying about whether they'll fit into a chair. Do you know of any eighty year old women who have to roll around on the floor to get their stockings on? Granted, they can get away with wearing knee-highs with skirts. Did any fire department ever have to cut a hole in a wall to rescue a 22 stone 90 year old? Doubt it. Do they even make adult diapers in plus sizes? 3x? Not thinking so.

You can survive cancer and heart disease, but you can't outrun obesity. How can you when you can barely get up from a chair? Obesity puts you at greater risk for cancer, heart disease, diabetes and just about everything else under the sun. The information on good nutrition and exercise is out there and in this day and age it is easily accessible. It's a basic equation of burning up more calories than you ingest. It's not rocket science. Yet, why can't I apply it?

For someone like myself, at age 43 and classified as morbidly obese, there are only 2 options: get fit or die. There are no gray areas here.

I know one thing for sure. If I continue to enjoy too much food now, I won't be around later to enjoy anything else.

I'm not overweight. I'm just nine inches too short.

Shelley Winters

2 comments:

  1. Y'know when you put it that way it's a bit scary, isn't it?
    I wish I lived nearer. We could power walk together or something. I'm crap at getting fit. I need constant egging on, the occasional slap and only then am I slightly less than disinterested. It's frightening facts like this that makes me wake up and smell the coffee.... and still decide to have biscuits with it.... Pah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele,
    I'm sorry about your job, I know how much you loved it. I've been avoiding the computer lately but finally caught up with email and your blog. I can see you have hit some pitfalls but I must say your writing is excellent! Remember, write it down and make it happen and you and I will buy skinny jeans together when you're back in the states!

    ReplyDelete