Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Toolbox Tuesday- The 7 Minute Rule

I managed to get through 19 days without chocolate. I won't lie, I miss it. Alot. Chocolate is my drug of choice. But like all bad relationships, it must come to an end. But there are times when the urge is much greater than my willpower. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak and all that. And today was one of those days.

When I'm stressed, my desire for chocolate escalates- as it is my way to anesthetize myself. And right now my stress level is in the stratosphere. I finally found a place for me and the boys to live. The relief, although welcome and overwhelming, is tempered by the fact that I had to tell him. Mr Not-So-Wonderful. And as I predicted he did not handle it well and things have escalated here in the house. And that's all I'll say about that. Saturday night, I had chips from the chipper. And today, was a carb fest.

This is where the 7 minute rule comes in. In talking to my counselor about my strong desire for chocolate, she suggested that I wait 7 minutes before eating it and see if the craving passed and if, after 7 minutes I still craved the chocolate, to have it. And then gradually build up the minutes, so you're waiting longer to give into the craving. I have been trying that, and so far it has worked. Until today. The past few nightmarish days coupled with the fact that today is our 8th (and probably last) wedding anniversary have come to bear. It has been a horrendous day and about 2pm, I caved and ate all the chocolate as well as alot of carbs. I felt sick and sluggish. For the first time in 2 weeks, I had to take a nap after dinner.

This is a pivotal moment for me because this is the point where I usually fall off the bandwagon and not show up at the Unislim meeting on Thursday. But I can't because too much is at stake and to be honest, I don't want to give up. And I have to look at it like this: it was bad, it's over and it is what it is. It's time to move on.

Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you and your infinite ability to remain optimistic in the face of adversity. You are a credit to the human race, Michele, and I for one will be right there with you at the Unislim meeting tonight because after all this shite, the rest of the journey has GOT to be easier. You're my hero x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks, Debs. I can honestly say I'm back on track today. I reminded myself of what I want to accomplish and how crappy I felt yesterday after eating way too many carbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, kiddo!!! As Debs said it best, I'm proud of you too & your ability to remain optimistic!! By the way...the #8 has a very special meaning to it ~ its the number for New Beginnings!!! Look at this milestone as a new life for you & your boys!! I'm with ya... Luv you!! {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete