Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Toolbox Tuesday- Rewards


I'm a big believer in the merit system, especially the reward end of it. Rewards, to me, are a big incentive to complete or accomplish something. I think it's very important to reward yourself as you're losing weight to reinforce that what you've done is important and for it to be one more tool in the arsenal to provide encouragement to continue.
Comfort aside, I also use food as a reward. If I get my housework done by 11 in the morning, I treat myself to a scone and a cup of tea. If I make it through an incredibly rough day (insert any reason here), my reward can be anything from take out to chocolate.
But now, I've decided to incorporate rewards in my weight loss plan. Non food of course.
Let's face it, I've got to lose roughly about 150 pounds. That number is not real to me- it's too big. So, I don't think about that at all. I've decided to take it in 25 pound increments. For every 25 pounds I lose, I'm going to reward myself with something that I want or want to do- but it will be something just for me. And to keep it interesting, the rewards will get bigger and better with more weight lost.
For instance, when I lose my first 25 pounds, I'm going to reward myself with a pedicure. Now, I have really ugly feet- there is no hope for them, and despite the fact that I hate bringing them out in public, I would really love to have a pedicure. I haven't had a pedicure since November 2004 when I was about to go into the hospital to have Michael, so it would be a real treat.
And maybe at the 50 pound mark, I'll get my hair highlighted with 2 colors. Only a 5o pound weight loss would be able to justify the expense for me.
I've been off chocolate for 12 days now- which amazes me. If I make it to 30 days, I'll buy myself a little treat- like a DVD or something or maybe take a ride to Inch Beach by myself.
I'm open to any suggestions as to what other people do for rewards.

1 comment:

  1. I've just checked out the Revas Spa at the Woodlands Hotel in Adare, Co Limerick- and I'll be definitely going there!

    ReplyDelete