Friday, April 30, 2010

Week 1-Unislim

Well, I managed through week 1 of Unislim without too much difficulty- a few minor problems that I was determined to overcome:

-no chocolate for 8 days now! This is the longest I've gone in a long time. I'm determined to beat my addiction to chocolate. This is my biggest problem area as I have worked my way up to eating 3! family size Galaxy bars a day. Zoinks! 2000 of my daily calories came from chocolate alone, not even funny.
-Thursday, for whatever reason, was a day of discontent for me. I can't explain why or pinpoint any one thing, it was just one of those days, but I was determined to stick with it and not use it as an excuse to slide. Besides, Thursday is weigh in day and I didn't want to mess that up. So, I decided to take a little break from my life: no computer, no writing and no housework ( no fear there) and I took an easy day and just read all day- just what I needed. Felt great this morning, up at 7am (remember, I'm not a morning person) and ready to handle what the day has to offer.
-I wasn't perfect a couple of times but I followed the advice in the Unislim book which said 'forgive yourself immediately.' Instead of beating myself up, I'm going to be kind to myself. In the past, as soon as I 'cheated', I'd give up if I couldn't be 100% perfect. I can't let perfection be the standard by which I judge myself. And there is no such thing as cheating! It's a poor choice, that's all. I'll make the next choice a good one. And what were my poor choices? I had an extra helping of hummus on oat crackers ( I love hummus)and a handful of Pringles one night.

There were two things I learned this week that were important to me:
-at the weekly Unislim meeting, Bernie, our leader, reminded us that 'we're not on a diet,' we're on a permanent healthy eating plan. That works for me.
-second, came this little gem from the book: 'those that are most successful with their weight loss in the long term are those who recover sooner rather than later.' (in response to having a bad day)

Anyways: here are my results for the first week:

Start weight: 23.4 stone*

Week 1: 22.6 stone ( 316 pounds, 142.8kg)


Yeah 12! pounds gone! I know it's mostly water but I can see my ankles again!

*1 stone = 14 pounds

Now for the hard part: sticking with it and being accountable and showing up every week. Of all the times, I've joined Weight Watchers or Unislim, I've never filled out my entire card as I always stopped going after the 2nd or 3rd week. I have a short term goal of attending 6 meetings( lasting 6 weeks). My long term goal is to fill up my card- which means a 16 week commitment.

5 comments:

  1. That fab news, Michele, I'm very proud of you - and your newly-found feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been off the choc for a few months now. It's easy when the stuff causes migraines though.

    http://secretcerealdieter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I've been off of it, I do feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATS!!!! What an accomplishment!! I loved what you wrote above - you're giving yourself a break & taking what you need!!! A lesson for all of us to learn. Best of luck, friend! I'm with you 110% - feeling better is the key!! Congratulations again!:)

    ReplyDelete